Monday, December 01, 2008

Taking Time to Make Time

Since the move I've not really been cooking much. I attribute part of that to my crummy oven which I'm hoping to replace before too long, but the other part is that with the unpacking and getting settled in and the last week and a half of kids and adults being sick, I have just not been doing much in the kitchen department.

One of the bonus features of this new house is it's chest freezer. Imagine the deep freeze that your grandma had in the basement. Now go back in time about fifty years and imagine that freezer. That's the monster I have in MY basement! Today I began to fill it. It currently contains:

11 batches of chili ready to go for our freezer meal swap next week
4 batches of the gravy for beef tips and gravy (waiting for the 1/8 a cow coming in a week or two)
2 batches of the guts for mini cheddar meatloaves (waiting for the 1/8 a cow coming in a week or two)
2 batches of anniversary chicken
2 batches of taco meat
5 cups of browned ground beef ready for spaghetti sauce or whatever
4 quarts and 2 pints of instant oatmeal mix (storing this in the freezer for lack of anywhere else to put that much oatmeal!)

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but who knows??? :) And that's what I did today. What did you do???

2 comments:

Tooz said...

I am absolutely blown away by the amount of cooking you have done in one day--and with three kids at home, too! You are a real can-do achiever!

Tooz said...

Oooooh, chest freezer--just remembered. Be oh so sure that before you leave the house for any length of time, the thing is almost empty. My folks went to the Smoky Mountains when I was in college. They were there for probably over a week. When they came home, they found out the freezer was unplugged--or it blew a fuse, or something similar. Anyway, there was no power to it for quite a while. Unbeknownst to them, the darned thing had a batch of fresh fish (or what three years ago had been fresh fish) down in the bottom. Disaster.