Sunday, December 14, 2008

Nutritional Education

This morning Toby stumbled into the kitchen.

"Morning Tobs! What do you want for breakfast?"

"Ice cream." (He'd seen the box of rock salt in the same area as the cereal is kept. Since it has a picture of ice cream on the side we assume he thought it was some sort of ice cream cereal or something. Hard to know what goes on in the three-year-old brain.)

"Okay, you can have ice cream for breakfast!"

I then got out the ice cream, bowl and spoon for him. He looked at me like I was from Mars. Jim looked at me like I was from Mars. I dished up some ice cream for Toby, handed him a banana and a glass of grape juice and told him to dig in.

Aidan came down.

"Mo-o-o-o-m!!! Toby's eating ice cream for breakfast!!!"

"I know. Do you want some?"

"Uh, well, sure!"

So, I dish up the same breakfast for Aidan.

Evan came down soon after.

"Mom, you're giving them ice cream for breakfast?"

"Yup, do you want some?"

"Uh, no." He pours himself a bowl of cereal.

So, I gave half of the kids ice cream for breakfast. Avery slept in past the ice cream hour so she got oatmeal. Hopefully they'll remember the day that Mom gave them ice cream for breakfast. But just to make sure, maybe I should do it more often. Not on a regular basis of course, but a handful of times in the upcoming years. Just so they remember that I wasn't always intent on following the rules.

3 comments:

Tooz said...

Tara, what a great idea! I'm glad you're willing to break the rules about things that really aren't that important...The older the kids grow, the more you will appreciate mornings like that!

Monica said...

I LOVE IT!! What a great way to start the day. Besides I'm sure ice cream is much better than some other things that they might eat for breakfast.

Rebecca said...

Oh, how sweet. They WILL always remember the day Mom knocked their socks of with a "yes" to a crazy question! The only problem: You have just opened yourself up to tons more nutty requests..."just in case she might say yes!"

I enjoy your blog!

from Pam's sister in Colorado