Thursday, December 04, 2008

Reality

Aside from hosting Works For Me Wednesday, Shannon also has a special guest blogger on Thursdays. In her "What I'd Like You To Know" series Shannon invites women who have had various experiences to share with the blogosphere how to help other women who are experiencing such things. She's invited women with multiples, infertility, women with large families and women with only one child to tell us the things that are helpful and the things that are hurtful to say when we encounter other women in that situation. Today she has asked Tara Mock to share about coping with post partum depression. You can read Tara's post here.

I am including the link to her discussion because I have experienced post partum depression. It was quietly lurking in the background after Evan and Aidan's births, but reared it's ugly head full force after Toby was born (and was a pretty difficult baby). While my ppd didn't look like this Tara's, it was evident to my friends and family that I needed some help in getting through it. And so, in a tear filled conversation with the nurse line at my OBs, I got started on the road to help.

I heard a talk at my MOPS group this fall that stated that women are more susceptible to bouts of depression at certain times of their lives. Those times include the onset of puberty, pre-menstrual, post partum, peri-menopausal, and menopause. So, basically from the time we're thirteen until the time we die! And here's the kicker, Christians are not exempt. Praying more, having more faith, spending more quiet time, that doesn't necessarily make a difference. Sometimes your brain needs some chemicals straightened out and sometimes that involves medication.

So, if you suspect you or someone you are close to could use some help getting through this valley, do them (and their family) a favor. Mention it to her. Offer to watch her kids so she can go to talk with her doctor. Make her dinner so she won't have to feed her family a frozen pizza, again. And most of all, pray for her, pray with her and encourage her that it will get better.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Wow, well-written and well-said! Thank you so much for having the courage to share - from one Tara to another. Your advice and wisdom is fantastic. Nope, no two PPD stories are alike, but all are equally painful. I'm so glad you got help and got better and are now sharing your experience with others. You will bless more than you know. I look forward to reading more of your blog! Hugs, Tara Mock

Monica said...

I often found myself going down a dark road for the first 6 weeks after having a baby. The first few times I thought that I might be losing it and my husband would try to "fix" it every day, but nothing helped.

When I got the facts of what PPD and realized that this was my "normal" that helped a lot. My husband learned to hold me and not fix me and that was the greatest healer of all. Also, knowing that this was a temporary process and that I had a lifetime with my new one to look forward to gave me hope.

I never did seek my doctor's help (nurses are never good patients), but I always strongly suggest it to my friends and patients.

Thanks for sharing your story and encouraging me to be looking out for fellow moms.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Tara, for sharing this. You know this subject is near and dear to my heart, as I struggled with it myself. My story is posted on my blog, in the left hand column. My blog's address is below.

Mom With Bipolar said...

I said my blog's address was below, but really if you just click on "Leah," it'll take you to my blog.