Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Toby: "Mommy, Aidan doesn't want to play Rescue Heroes so I decided you can play Rescue Heroes with me instead."

In other news, Avery turned 1 year old this past Saturday! Happy Birthday, Avery! It's sort of odd knowing that she's the caboose of the family. I had my last first birthday party as a mother. With Evan I noted all the firsts. With Avery I'm noting all the lasts. Strangest thing? When I pulled the last newborn sized diaper out of the drawer and cried knowing it was the last time I'd put one of my own babies in a newborn diaper. That diaper is sitting (unused of course) up in my dresser. Why? Because I'm crazy like that.

I also spent the better part of last week in South Dakota and Iowa with my sisters who have had babies in the past few weeks. My little sisters both had their third kiddos, girls just a few weeks apart. I cooked and cleaned and dispensed much advice on saving money, budgeting, menu planning, breastfeeding and the like. They even asked questions and seemed to be listening! 20 years ago if you'd told me I'd be doing that with one particular sister we both would have slugged you. It was a wonderful time. It seems that everyone grows up. Thanks for having babies Raina and Wendy! I had a blast!

2 comments:

Tooz said...

We had our first "first birthday" party as grandparents this summer. It was just fine. You'll survive. I'm glad things went well at your sisters' homes. Isn't it nice to be appreciated? (Or at least tolerated?)

SAHMmy Says said...

Happy Birthday to your little one! I feel you on dwelling on the "lasts"!