Monday, September 01, 2008

Happy LABOR Day!

I saw this meme on the infamous Rocks In My Dryer blog this morning. I thought I'd play along simply because I know my subject matter has been, well, literally lacking these days. But, before we start the fun, a quick house update. The people who are buying our house have a buyer for theirs! They have one inspection to successfully get completed and then we can move! We start the house shopping on Tuesday. Pray for a quick and peaceful shopping trip!

Now, on to the fun!

How long were your labors?

Kid #1, 17 hours.
Kid #2, 0 hours
Kid #3, 0 hours.
Kid #4, 2 hours.

I sorta cheat. I have had 3 scheduled c-sections. Baby 4 I actually went into labor and was in actual labor for a couple hours before the c-section.

How did you know you were in labor?

Kid #1, The doctors told me. I was induced.
Kid #2, See above
Kid #3, See above
Kid #4, Contractions every 3-5 minutes made it sort of obvious. Initially I was having contractions on and off for days. I finally went in to be checked just before the biggest blizzard of 2007. I drove myself to the hospital. The doctor came in to check me and commented, "I can tell we're in labor here just by the way you're gripping the bedrails!" I was in surgery about 1 1/2 hours later.

Where did you deliver?

Baby #1 at a very clinical teaching hospital. They induced on my due date because I was gestational diabetic.
The rest of them were delivered at a smaller county hospital in town. They have an excellent birth center and I cannot help but wonder if having Evan there initially would have prevented the induction to nowhere. Oh well, I've got four beautiful babies and since you can't take it back, I'll wear my scar with honor.

Drugs?

Nope. Just a strap of leather and some whiskey. OF COURSE I HAD DRUGS!!!

C-section?

I'm sure answering this part would just insult your intelligence.

Who delivered?

Doctors. I can't remember any of their names except the last one was Dr. White. I think.

If you want to play along with this meme, just cut and paste the questions into your own blog, and leave your link with Shannon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A strap of leather and whiskey. You nearly had me there.

I'm told some people still have natural births. I'm not one of them.

Kama said...

Thanks for sharing your labor stories! I am due in less than 4 weeks and have had fun reading all these stories thanks to RIMD. My friends are leaving advice for me on our blog this week if you'd like to stop by and share some words of wisdom! :)